WEDNESDAY AT NOON MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY WILL MARCH TO HONOR THE MEMORY OF NATIVE AMERICAN CHILDREN LOST IN THE CHILD WELFARE SYSTEM.
THE 11TH ANNUAL EVENT CONDUCTED BY THE FOUR DIRECTIONS COMMUNITY CENTER WILL BEGIN AT 9AM AT THE MARINA INN WITH A PROGRAM AND PANEL DISCUSSION.
A SILENT PRAYERFUL MARCH FROM THERE ACROSS THE VETERANS BRIDGE INTO SIOUX CITY BEGINS AT NOON, WITH STOPS AT CITY HALL, THE COUNTY COURTHOUSE AND THE TROSPER HOYT BUILDING.
A DINNER AND PRAYER SERVICE WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE FOUR DIRECTIONS CENTER AT 613 WATER STREET AT 2PM.
THOSE ATTENDING WEDNESDAY'S EVENT AND MARCH IN SOUTH SIOUX CITY MAY ALSO GET A FLU SHOT WHEN THEY SHOW UP.
JIM SPENCER, DIRECTOR OF MISSIONS AND ETHICS FOR MERCY MEDICAL CENTER, SAYS FREE IMMUNIZATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE MARINA INN FOR NATIVE AMERICANS BETWEEN 18 AND 65 YEARS OLD:
THE FREE FLU SHOTS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR NATIVE AMERICAN MARCH PARTICIPANTS BETWEEN 9AM AND NOON AT THE MARINA INN.
WOODBURY COUNTY SUPERVISORS HAVE APPROVED AN URBAN RENEWAL AGREEMENT WITH THE CITY OF SALIX.
THE DEAL CREATES A TWO MILE LIMIT FROM THE TOWN FOR ECONOMIC AND INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT.
THE SALIX CITY COUNCIL HAD EARLIER APPROVED THE DEAL.
A MEETING WITH AFFECTED LANDOWNERS IN THE ZONE WILL BE HELD DECEMBER 3RD AT 7PM AT THE SALIX CITY HALL.
COUNTY BUDGET MANAGER DENNIS BUTLER SAYS THAT'S FOR THE LANDOWNERS ADVANTAGE:
A MEETING WITH THE SGT. BLUFF AND WESTWOOD SCHOOL DISTRICTS WILL FOLLOW WITH PLANS TO HAVE THE TOTAL AGREEMENT FINALIZED BEFORE THE END OF DECEMBER.
President Barack Obama has declared a disaster in Nebraska following severe weather at the beginning of October.
The declaration means federal emergency aid is available to supplement recovery efforts being conducted by state and local officials.
The funding will also be available to certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis.
The money can be used for emergency work, repairs and facility replacements.
Severe weather including winter storms, tornadoes and flooding were reported October 2nd through the 6th around much of the state.
The money will help nine counties including Wayne, Dixon, and Thurston.
A JURY HAS FOUND A SIOUX CITY MAN GUILTY IN THE FATAL SHOOTING OF A WOMAN ON THE CITY'S WESTSIDE LAST YEAR.
35-YEAR-OLD FERNANDO JAIMES-MARTINEZ WAS FOUND GUILTY OF VOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER AND INTIMIDATION WITH A DANGEROUS WEAPON WITH INTENT.
JAIMES-MARTINEZ WAS ORIGINALLY ACCUSED OF FIRST DEGREE MURDER AFTER HE WAS ARRESTED FOR FIRING A GUN INTO A CROWD ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2012, RESULTING IN THE DEATH OF 27-YEAR OLD KARLA GONZALEZ.
THE WOODBURY COUNTY JURY FOUND HIM GUILTY OF THE LESSER CHARGE.
JAIMES-MARTINEZ HAD PREVIOUSLY PLEADED GUILTY TO BEING A FELON IN POSSESSION OF A FIREARM IN THE CASE.
SENTENCING WAS SET FOR DECEMBER 27TH.
JAIMES-MARTINEZ REMAINS IN CUSTODY WITHOUT BOND.
Page 14 of 836