Plastic glow stick tubes filled with luminous chemicals are popular with Iowa trick-or-treaters but they're also the subject of hundreds of calls to the Poison Control Center every fall.
Spokeswoman Joan McVoy says while the glow sticks do help make children more visible in the dark, but they can also cause problems:
Last year, glow sticks were the subject of 282 calls to the poison center's hotline. Parents who realize their kid has managed to munch through a glow stick need to act quickly.
McVoy says the glow stick goo certainly isn't good for you, but it's probably not going to be fatal to your child:
The Regional Poison Center number is 800-222-1222.
A Radio Iowa contributed report