A Siouxland family escapes a house fire, but is displaced after the blaze causes an estimated $40,000 in damage.
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors alerted Corey and Nancy Isebrand to the fire Saturday. They escaped the house with their son, and no one was injured.
Firefighters arriving on the scene found fire and smoke in the walls of the living room behind the fireplace.
The fire burned through the living room wall into the kitchen and burned a few rafters and insulation in the attic above the living room.
Firefighters had to remove the fireplace and open the living room ceiling to extinguish the fire.
Investigators say the blaze started in the fireplace.