Fire caused extensive damage to a rural Le Mars home Sunday night.
The fire at 16123 Hickory Avenue was reported just after 6pm., nearly 11 miles west of town.
Le Mars Fire Chief Dave Schipper says crews were on the scene for more than three hours battling the blaze:
OC…KITCHEN WINDOWS. :19
The flames were so hot and intense that it started to melt two vehicles that were at least 20 feet away from the main fire.
OC…VENTILATION TO DO. :18
The family was operating their grill inside the garage and Schipper believes the grill was responsible for the blaze.
Schipper estimates the damage at more than $100,000 and says the home may be listed as a total loss.
The home is owned by Joe and Lisa Lehner.
Two family cats perished in the fire, and the family is being assisted by the Red Cross.